Thursday, January 28, 2010

Home alone (A moment spent alone doing something I enjoyed)


‘Clang! Clang!’ My keys banged against each other as I sorted out my keys to find the one for the door. After a moment of searching, I found the silver ‘Viro’ key. I slotted it in the keyhole and turned the door handle. I got a shock when I saw that the house was empty and in total darkness. After calming down, I realized I was just scaring myself. Today was the 18th of January and I forgot my parents were attending a dinner and would not be home till 10. my heart leaped at the thought of the things I was going to do alone.

I went straight to my room and put down my school bag. I turned on the computer immediately before going for a bath. Normally when my parents were at home, I had to finish my homework before taking a bath. (turning on the computer was impossible) after the bath, I felt refreshed and awake. I took out a can of coke from the fridge and remembered that the computer was on. I went onto websites like ‘facebook’ and ‘blogger’. I also played some online games and watched my favourite anime on the computer. Finally to do something constructive, I did some research for my Science homework.
After using the computer for so long, I helped myself to ice-cream from the freezer and I finished the last of the M and M’s chocolate. Before closing the fridge, I poured myself a glass of fruit juice and lied down on the sofa to read a book. I did not even notice when the surroundings dimmed and in the blink of an eye, it was already time for dinner. It took me awhile to remember that I had to settle dinner myself. I was supposed to walk to White Sand to take away something to eat but the journey seemed miles away. Instead, I went to the kitchen and started cooking instant noodle for myself. I dumped all the ingredients I could find into the pot before reading my book again while waiting for the water to boil. I did not even know when water started to flow out of the pot and the lid rattled. However, I was too engrossed in my book to notice. Soon, the water flowed down and the fire got extinguished. I only realized it when I smelt the smell of gas and I ran to the stove to turn it off. After a few coughs and splutters, I cleaned up the place and got the noodles ready.
I never thought the day where I could eat while watching television would come. I turned on the television and I brought out my plate of noodles. I will never forget that moment where I could eat a mouthful of noodles before looking up at the television.
Normally, I had to eat dinner in the dining room on the dining table with the other diners. (it would usually be my parents but sometime there would be visitors) I had never eaten in the living room since primary school days.

Although I took a longer time to finish dinner, I truly enjoyed myself today. Suddenly, the phone rang and I rushed to pick it up. My heart skipped a beat when my mother’s voice over the phone. “What are you doing now?” She asked. I hesitated for a moment before replying, “Doing my homework of course…”

0 comments: